- Lead-organizer: International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- 17:30 - 19:00
- Date: 17 Jun 2012
- Room: P3-6
ICTs, the foundation of our sustainable future
Organizing partnersITU in coordination with the United Nations Group on the Information Society.
IntroductionInformation and communication technologies (ICTs) play a critical role to promote the integration of the three pillars of sustainable development. ICTs are the most inclusive infrastructure on the planet, with 90% of the world population connected to mobile services and over one third connected to the Internet. ICTs are a truly unique platform for progress that creates wealth, optimize the use of natural resources, enables a low carbon economy and give equitable access to basic public services, such as health care and education. ICTs play a pivotal role in monitoring, predicting and detecting natural disasters. Using these technologies to mitigate disasters contributes to saving human life, protecting infrastructure, and supporting economic activity leading to sustainable development.
The side event ?ICTs, the foundation of our sustainable future? will look at specific ICT applications and services that have the capacity to contribute to the transition towards a green economy and to poverty alleviation. .
Detailed programmeThe side event ?ICTs, the foundation of our sustainable future? will look at specific ICT applications and services that can assist in the transition towards a green economy, focusing on the key role that policies, regulations and international standards, play to allow for the uptake of ICT applications.
ICTs are an economic catalyst, creating efficiency, equity, and growth. Case study examples will demonstrate how investments in ICTs can provide exponential benefit to all social, economic and environmental sustainability efforts.
The event will be an opportunity to learn about different ICT related successful experiences. It will include presentation and discussion on:
- Country-led initiatives to promote access to public services through the use of ICTs;
- Guidelines and standards on the use of ICTs for the reduction of energy consumption and GHG emissions for environmental protection and mitigating climate change;
- Projects to accelerate the achievement of the MDGs;
- Iindustry-led innovative green applications that promote sustainable economic growth, such as smart grids, smart buildings, intelligent transport systems;
- Multi-stakeholder collaboration to promote the use of ICTs to move towards a green economy ;
- Different initiatives lead by international organizations to promote the use of ICTs to monitor the climate and reinforce environmental protection, including those using satellite imagery to monitor deforestation.
- How ICTs have across the globe contributed to saving human life before and during emergencies through the establishment of effective monitoring systems, setting up of appropriate early warning systems and efficient systems for timely response.
The side event will also include the announcement of the winner of the 2nd ITU Green ICT application challenge.
Speakers to be engaged at the event will include high-level officials from the public sector, representatives of international organizations, industry leaders and civil society.
Further information available at www.itu.int/rioplus20