- Submitted by: Saint Lucia
- Primary SD area: Sustainable Energy
- Keywords: Energy
- Location: Saint Lucia
- Date of completion: 1 Jan 2000
- More information
Deliverables & Resources
Barbados Declaration – Voluntary Commitment by Saint Lucia
Organization(s) making commitmentSaint Lucia, in partnership with the Governments of Australia, Denmark, New Zealand, Norway, and the United Kingdom, and UNDP.
Achievement of Commitment• Increase the contribution of renewable energy to the national energy supply by 20% by 2020 and support the development of indigenous energy sources.
• To reduce the consumption of electricity in the public sector by 20% by 2020.
How this will be achieved• By promoting energy efficiency at all levels and in all sectors at the national level.
• By strengthening the institutional and legal framework for sustainable energy.
• By developing and implementing standards and guidelines for energy efficient products.
• By developing and establishing a suite of fiscal measures and a financing mechanism for greater penetration of sustainable energy technologies and products.
• By facilitating capacity- building , innovation, research and development for sustainable energy.
• By implementing a comprehensive sustainable energy education and awareness programme.
• By providing an enabling environment for sustainable energy that simultaneously allows the private sector to generate business opportunities that are consistent with the Green Economy Concept.
|• To reduce the consumption of electricity in the public sector by 20%||2020|
|Increase the contribution of renewable energy to the national energy supply by 20% and support the development of indigenous energy sources.||2020|
|Resources devoted to delivery|
|Other, please specify||To be achieved with assistance from development partners.|