Round table «Rio +20: Green Bridge projects- practical contribution to a green economy»
22 Feb 2012 - 23 Feb 2012Roundtable "RIO+20: Green Bridge Partnership Programme Projects as a practical contribution to Green economy" (22-23 February 2012, Astana, Kazakhstan)
1. In compliance with Ministerial Declarations of Environment and Development Ministers for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP, Astana, 27 September, 2 October 2010) and European (UNECE, Astana, 21-23 September 2011) regions, the Green Bridge Interregional Partnership Programme has been developed as a voluntary, practical and long-term mechanism to support cooperation in the field of environment protection and transfer to a green economy.
2. Representatives of countries, state and international organizations, NGOs, businesses and science, invited by the Republic of Kazakhstan, met on 22-23 February 2012 in the City of Astana at the Roundtable to discuss joint actions, required to implement green economy projects (attached please find Agenda and List of participants).
3. Given growing issues in the field of energy supply, food security, environment pollution, natural ecosystems degradation and climate change, attendees found it very important to transfer from declarations to practical actions through joining their expertise and interests to preserve the environment and improve the quality of life.
4. The Roundtable participants have listened to reports on Global Energy Environmental Strategy and Green Bridge Partnership Programme, initiated by Kazakhstan, as well as presentations of examples of green projects / suggestions for their further possible implementation in countries concerned (www.GreenBridgePartnership.net).
5. Discussions held demonstrate an urgent need to create conditions for transfer to a green economy at international and national levels. Countries, international organizations, businesses and NGOs need to put their political will and joint actions together to carry out relevant institutional and other reforms, to improve standards and norms in order to distribute sustainable and accessible energy, safe food, sustainable farming, housing, transport, etc.
6. The discussion also demonstrated that, to put green projects forward at regional and national levels, it would be needed to develop targeted measures for supporting (administrative, economic and other) conditions for their implementation. Creation of enabling conditions for green projects, transfer of technologies and expertise are presently one of the most crucial to transfer to green economy.
7. The Roundtable participants have noted that further joint actions to promote a green projects in any countries and organizations concerned will require creation of an International Coordination Council, as well as an Expert Council to select the most cost-efficient and environmentally friendly technologies for their further support at international and national levels. It has been proposed to establish an open-ended international working group for further consultations on practical activities, following the Roundtable, and to authorize it to present joint suggestions at a special green economy session at the next 5th Astana Economic Forum to be held in Astana on 23-24 May 2012, as well as at other possible international meetings.
8. For this purpose, the Republic of Kazakhstan has asked the Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia (CAREC) to lead an expert group, which will develop a consolidated list of priority projects and to contact potential supporters for funding.
9. Participants requested the Republic of Kazakhstan, Germany, Republic of Korea and Brazil to present the Roundtable outcomes and result of followed actions at the forthcoming World Summit for Sustainable Development in Brazil (RIO+20).
10. The Roundtable participants thanked the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan for organizing the meeting as well as The Federal Ministry for Environment of Germany, the UK Embassy, UNDP, Global Green Growth Institute, Kazakhstan business association for sustainable development and other organizations for their support and sponsorship.
«Rio +20: Green Bridge projects- practical contribution to a green economy», Astana, Kazakhstan, 22-23 February, 2012
List of green project proposals for implermentation
¹ Project proposal Short description of presentations
1. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Support energy efficiency and renewable energy in interested countries in Europe, Asia and the Pacific based on successful international experiences and technologies and creation the necessary enabling conditions.
2. Organic Agriculture Support in the development of organic agriculture in the regions of Europe, Asia and the Pacific on the basis of publicly available, low-cost and safe for human health and environment the technologies and support of the creation of regional markets for organic products.
3. Sustainable Settlements Support of creation and widespread demonstrational settlements , buildings and infrastructure of low-carbon housing and sustainable settlements within the private, state and international programmes.
4. Waste minimization Support regional and inter-regional cooperation for waste minimization based on efficient technologies , policies and infrastructure.
5. Protection of Ecosystems on the basis of Green Economy The development of green economy in the transboundary basin (using example of the Ile-Balkhash River), through strengthening of mutually beneficial cooperation and trade in China, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Europe for the protection of ecosystems and support of global environmental sustainability.
6. Support of Green Technologies Creating a network of centers of dissemination the available and economically effective green technologies, including for SMB and households, and support and creation of transfer and dissemination of green technologies on the basis of the practical experience.
7. Information Support for a Green Economy Creation a common informational space on green economy for the countries and organizations based on Internet to strengthen partnerships, share experiences, education and public participation in programmes and projects of green economy.